Alexander Rankin DUNLOP1868 - 1946 (77 years)
Name Alexander Rankin DUNLOP Born 23 Sep 1868 Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada [1, 2] Gender Male Census New 2 Apr 1871 Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada  Census New 1 Jun 1880 Rensselaer, New York, USA  Census New 31 Mar 1901 Wakefield, Yorks Passenger List 27 Dec 1903 On board "Philadelphia" arriving New York from Southampton  Passenger List 17 Jun 1927 On board "Rawalpindi" departing London for Singapore  1939 Register 29 Sep 1939 Worthing, Sussex  Died 08 Aug 1946 Ferring, Sussex [1, 7, 8]
- DUNLOP: on August 8, at Semperna, Ferring, Alexander Rankin (Sandy) Dunlop, late of Sandakan, North Borneo, beloved husband of Myfanwy and father of Hazel.
Probate 25 Mar 1947 London  Notes
- Sandy and Henry came over to Scotland and stayed with 'Aunt Bu' until they joined the British North Borneo Co. ... Sandy stayed on in Borneo as a District Officer + I fancy eventually got his pension and then during 1914-18 war got a commission. After or during the war he married 'Myfany' had two girls (I think) and settled in England. We lost touch with him when 'Aunt Bu' and my mother died and then Sandy died. Your mother knew more about them than I did for I was in India for years and never met any of them' 
- FROM NORTH BORNEO PHILATELY PAGE ON FACEBOOK:
Answer to yesterday's picture is Dunlop Street, named after Alexander Rankin Johnson Dunlop, one of the officers who was responsible for chasing after Mat Salleh during the latter's fight against Chartered Company rule. He was one of the first officers to be in-charge of Silam and later, Lahad Datu. He was also well-known in West Coast, being the Resident at a time when Jesselton was first founded and thus had a big hand in its development. Jesselton had a Dunlop Street in the North Borneo days but for some selfish reasons has been erased. However, Kudos to the Tawau authorities for preserving the street names for history. We still have Dunlop Street, Chester Street (named after F.G.L. Chester) and Jalan Steven Tan. Chester and Steven were WW2 heroes.
A.R. Dunlop's biodata is as follows:-
Born 23 Sep 1868. Appointed Chief Clerk, Colonial Secretary's Office 20 Dec 1885. Resigned 1 Jul 1888 and rejoined 10 may 1889. 3rd Class Magistrate and Protector under the Labour Ordinance for the Labuk and Sugut District. Magistrate-in-Charge, Interior District from 1 Jan 1891 to 13 Jun 1891. Magistrate, Kinabatangan District 5 Nov 1891. Officer-in-Charge, Darvel Bay District 13 Jun 1893. Special Service 1 Jan to 9 May 1898. Resumed duty as District Officer, Darvel Bay District 10 May 1898. Promoted to rank of Resident 1 Mar 1899. Resident, West Coast 12 Oct 1901. Sessions Judge 2 Aug 1904. Acting Resident, Province Alcock in addition to other duties 27 May 1905. Acting as Resident, East Coast 25 Nov 1905. Acting Judge of the High Court for West Coast and Interior Division 14 April 1908. 12 Nov 1909 to 15 Dec 1910 on Marriage Leave.15 Dec 1910 Resident, Sandakan. 1 Jan 1911 Officer of Class I. 20 Mar 1912 Official Member of the Legislative Council. Retired 16 Jan 1915.
Life in retirement did not appeal to Dunlop. The War did. He signed up in the army and was commissioned into the Royal Field Artillery. Being stationed in Britain, however, bored Dunlop. The call of the East was simply too strong. Dunlop tried without success, to gain employment with the Colonial Office. Dunlop remained in military service until the end of the war. By the time he was demobilized, Dunlop had already made Captain. After the war, Dunlop returned to Sabah where he started a few business ventures, concentrating mainly on plantation and mineral exploration. Dunlop finally returned to England in the 1930s and passed away in 1946.
Person ID I25 Dunlop Tree Last Modified 14 Mar 2018
Father Henry DUNLOP, b. 06 Jun 1834, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland Mother Sarah Jane Camber MCKAY, b. Aug 1837 Family ID F8 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family Myfanwy Davenport SHRUBSOLE, b. 2 Apr 1885, Bangor, Anglesey, Wales Married Nov 1910  Children 1. Hazel DUNLOP, b. Abt 1914 Last Modified 23 Jan 2016 Family ID F18 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Event Map = Link to Google Earth
People Alexander Rankin Dunlop
- [S32] Wikipedia.
- [S2] 1939 Register, (www.findmypast.co.uk), RG101/2635C/026/28.
- [S64] Census, (www.ancestry.co.uk), Canadian Census; Roll: C-10560, Page: 36, family No: 139.
- [S64] Census, (www.ancestry.co.uk), US Census - Roll: 920, Page: 203D, ED: 135, Image: 0411.
- [S10] NY Pax, (www.ancestry.co.uk).
- [S9] UK, Outgoing Passenger Lists, 1890-1950, (www.ancestry.co.uk).
- [S77] GRO Indexes, (www.ancestry.co.uk), SQ1946, Worthing, 5h 480, age 76.
- [S41] Newspaper, Andrews Newspaper Index, 1790-1976.
- [S85] E&W National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) 1858-1966, 1973-1995, (www.ancestry.co.uk).
- [S28] Letter; Henry J Dunlop (Lowestoft).
- [S41] Newspaper, www.newspapers.nl.sq.
- [S32] Wikipedia.