|Married - 6 Dec 1952 - St Andrew, Biggleswade, Beds
|Newspaper Report - BIGGLESWADE CHRONICLE: Under photograph: the bridal group after the marriage at Biggleswade Parish Church on Sunday of Mr Alan J Pates and Miss G M Thompson, both of Biggleswade.
A white wedding, with the weather providing a matching touch, took place at Biggleswade Parish Church on Saturday morning between Mr Alan John Pates, only son of Mr and Mrs H Pates, of 97 Potton Road, Biggleswade and Miss Grace Muriel Thompson, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs GS Thompson of 5 Lindsell Crescent, Biggleswade.
The vicar (Rev R B Griffin) officiated at the choral service, and Mrs P Poulton presided at the organ for the hymns ?Lead us heavenly father? and ?Love divine.? She also played suitable organ voluntaries.
The bride, given away by her father presented a pretty picture in her white fitted silk gown, with orange blossom headdress and embroidered veil. She carried a boquet of blood-red roses, carnations and trailing fern.
There were five attendants: the Misses Margaret Thompson (bride?s sister), Christine Albone (friend), Sheila Horney (niece of bridegroom) and Janet Horsewell (cousin of the bride).
The elder maids wore dresses of old gold taffeta, headdresses to match and carried bouquets of bronze chrysanthemums. The younger maids were attired in torquoise crÍpe with lace trimmings, silver headdresses and carried silver baskets filled with mixed flowers.
A friend of the bridegroom (Mr R Smith) carried out the duties of best man.
After the ceremony, a reception was held at the home of the bride and later the happy couple left for London where the honeymoon is being spent. The bride travelled in a brown bird?s-eye coat with bottle green accessories.
The future home of Mr & Mrs Pates will be at 36 Banks Road, Biggleswade.
Among the many handsome and beautiful gifts received was a canteen of cutlery from the management, staff and employees of the firm of Charles Elphick, printers and publishers of this newspaper, by whom the bridegroom is employed. - 12 Dec 1952 - Biggleswade, Beds